A partnership between Haleakala National Park and
The Friends for the Nene Adoption Project.
Give the Gift of a Nene
By adopting a Nene, the state bird of Hawaii, you'll be helping us to protect endangered species and important habitats in the Park from destruction by feral goats and pigs, from invasion by alien plants, and from predation by mongooses, feral cats, and rats.
- The Nene is an endemic bird on the Federal and state of Hawaii Lists of Endangered Species.
- There are less than 1800 Nene in the wild throughout Hawaii.
- Nene were once extinct from Maui
- Nene were re-introduced in to Maui in the 1960s.
- The total Nene population in the Park is estimated to be about 300, and West Maui supports perhaps 200 more.
When you ADOPT-A-NENE, you will receive special gifts and information about your Nene.
Regular ($30 donation): Adoption papers, information about your Nene, adoption certificate and postcard.
Malama ($50 donation): Postcard pack and all gifts of Regular supporter.
Ali'i ($100 donation): Exclusive 5x7" matted Nene photo and all gifts of Regular supporter. Ali'i donors will also have their names displayed at the National Park
Click the button below to Adopt-a-Nene online with a credit card payment.
NOTE: If you made an on-line adoption in December and checked Anonymous on the Network for Good form, please e-mail us if you want gifts sent.
If you prefer to donate by check or cash, please CLICK HERE,
print the donation form, complete it, and send to Friends of Haleakalā National Park with your payment.
MAHALO for your support.
Friends of Haleakala National Park
P.O. Box 322 ~ Makawao, HI 96768
(808) 876-1673 ~